Stuart A. Craig
Assistant Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
Stuart "Alex" Craig is an Assistant Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering (AME) at the University of Arizona. He received his B.S. (2009) degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and his Ph.D. (2015) degree in aerospace engineering from Texas A&M University. Prof. Craig was a postdoctoral research associate at Los Alamos National Laboratory from 2015 to 2016 before joining the AME Department as an Assistant Professor in 2016. He won the Office of Naval Research (ONR) Young Investigator Award in 2018. He is a member of the Fluid Dynamics Technical committee as well as a Senior Member of AIAA and a member of the American Physical Society (APS). Dr. Craig conducts wind-tunnel experiments in the field of boundary-layer stability and transition with an emphasis on high-speed and hypersonic flows.
- Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, United States
- Stability of high-speed, three-dimensional boundary layers
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois, United States
- Assistant Professor, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (2016 - Ongoing)
- Guest Scientist, Los Alamos National Laboratory (2016 - 2017)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Los Alamos National Laboratory (2015 - 2016)
- Graduate Assistant - Research, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas (2009 - 2015)
Fluid Mechanics, Aerodynamics, Compressible Flow, Hydrodynamic Stability
Boundary-layer stability and transition, hydrodynamic instability, experimental fluid mechanics, hypersonic aerodynamics, aerodynamic heating
AME 300 (Fall 2018)
AME 300 (Fall 2017)
AME 300 (Fall 2016)
AME 323 (Spring 2019)
AME 323 (Spring 2018)
Intro to Fluid Mechanics
AME 331 (Spring 2017)
BME 331 (Spring 2017)
AME 696G (Fall 2018)
AME 900 (Spring 2018)
AME 900 (Fall 2017)
- Kocian, T. S., Moyes, A. J., Reed, H. L., Craig, S. A., Saric, W. S., Schneider, S. P., & Edelman, J. B. (2018). Hypersonic Crossflow Instability. Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets. doi:10.2514/1.A34289
- Craig, S. A., & Saric, W. S. (2016). Crossflow instability in a hypersonic boundary layer. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 808, 224--244. doi:10.1017/jfm.2016.643
- Craig, S. (2017, Apr 17). High-speed stability and transition experiments at the University of Arizona. Invited Seminar. New Mexico State University.
- Craig, S. (2017, Feb 17). Boundary-layer stability and transition experiments at the University of Arizona. Invited Seminar. Purdue University.
- Craig, S. (2017, Mar 17). High-speed stability and transition experiments at the University of Arizona. Invited Seminar. NASA Langley Research Center.
- Mula, S., Craig, S., & Prestridge, K. (2016, 11). Dynamics of Richtmyer-Meshkov (RM) mixing with reshock. APS Division of Fluid Dynamics 2016. Portland, OR: American Physical Society.
- Young Investigator Award
- Office of Naval Research, Spring 2018