Associate Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
Qing Hao received his B.E. degree in Thermal Engineering from Tsinghua University, China, in 2001. He then obtained his M.S. degree from the University of Texas at Austin in 2004, and his Ph.D. degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 2010, both in Mechanical Engineering. Under the supervision of Prof. Gang Chen, his Ph.D. thesis focused on developing nanostructured thermoelectric materials for applications in refrigeration and electric power generation. His work on high-performance nanostructured bismuth antimony telluride bulk alloys not only produced a co-first authored Science paper but also won him the 2008 R&D 100 Award as a team member. After his PhD, he spent a year as a postdoctoral research associate in Prof. Gerbrand Ceder's group at MIT, primarily working on novel Na-ion batteries. From Aug. 2011, he became an Assistant Professor in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering at the University of Arizona. His research interest is nanoscale energy transport and its applications in advanced materials and nano-electronic devices. His current research efforts include heat transport inside Li-ion batteries, high-power electronics, boiling and condensation, thermal insulation materials, thermoelectrics, measurements and engineering applications of graphene and other two-dimensional materials. In 2015, he received the AFOSR YIP Award for graphene research. In 2017, he received NSF CAREER Award for thermal studies of grain boundaries. He was promoted to Associate Professor in May 2017.
- Award for Excellence at the Student Interface
- UA College of Engineering, Spring 2017
Nanoscale energy transport
AME 492 (Spring 2018)
AME 492 (Fall 2016)
Convective Trnsp Phnm
AME 532 (Spring 2018)
AME 532 (Spring 2017)
AME 499 (Spring 2018)
AME 599 (Spring 2018)
AME 699 (Spring 2018)
AME 599 (Fall 2017)
AME 499 (Fall 2017)
AME 499 (Spring 2017)
AME 699 (Spring 2017)
AME 499 (Fall 2016)
Nanoscale Heat Transfer
AME 585 (Spring 2018)
AME 900 (Spring 2018)
AME 900 (Fall 2017)
AME 900 (Spring 2017)
AME 900 (Fall 2016)
AME 920 (Spring 2018)
AME 920 (Fall 2017)
AME 910 (Fall 2017)
AME 432 (Fall 2017)
AME 432 (Fall 2016)
AME 300 (Fall 2016)
- Hao, Q. (2016). Multi-Length Scale Thermal Simulations of GaN-on-SiC High Electron Mobility Transistors. In Multiscale Thermal Transport in Energy Systems(pp Chapter 3).
- Hao, Q. (2017). A hybrid simulation technique for electrothermal studies of two-dimensional GaN-on-SiC high electron mobility transistors. J. Appl. Phys., 121, 204501.
- Hao, Q. (2017). Computation-Driven Materials Search for Thermoelectric Applications. ECS J. Solid State Sci. Technol., 6, N3095-N3102.
- Hao, Q. (2017). Survey and evaluation of equations for thermophysical properties of binary/ternary eutectic salts from NaCl, KCl, MgCl2, CaCl2, ZnCl2 for heat transfer and thermal storage fluids in CSP. Solar Energy, 152, 57–79.
- Hao, Q., & Hao, Q. (2017). Thermoelectric studies of nanoporous thin films with adjusted pore-edge charges. J. Appl. Phys., 121, 094308.
- Hao, Q. (2016). Analytical model for phonon transport analysis of periodic bulk nanoporous structures. Applied Thermal Engineering, 111, 1409–1416.
- Hao, Q., & Hao, Q. (2016). Characteristic length of phonon transport within periodic nanoporous thin films and two-dimensional materials. J. Appl. Phys., 120, 065101.
- Hao, Q., & Lu, N. (2016). High-throughput ZT predictions of nanoporous bulk materials as next-generation thermoelectric materials: A material genome approach. Phys. Rev. B, 93, 205206.
- Hao, Q., & Xin, H. (2016). Nonlinear Microwave Characterization of CVD Grown Graphene. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 15, 1557-1560. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2517180
- Li, P., Hao, Q., Jeter, S. M., & Teja, A. S. (2016). Thermal and Transport Properties of NaCl-KCl-ZnCl2 Eutectic Salts for New Generation High Temperature Heat Transfer Fluids. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, 138(5), 054501. doi:10.1115/1.4033793
- Li, P., Li, P., Hao, Q., Hao, Q., Jeter, S. M., Jeter, S. M., Teja, A. S., & Teja, A. S. (2016). Thermal and Transport Properties of NaCl-KCl-ZnCl2 Eutectic Salts for New Generation High Temperature Heat Transfer Fluids. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, 138(5), 054501. doi:10.1115/1.4033793
- Hao, Q. (2014). General Effective Medium Formulation for Thermal Analysis of a Polycrystal--The Influence of Partially Specular Phonon Transmission Across Grain Boundarie. Journal of Applied Physics, 116(3), 034305.
- Li, D., Shao, Z., Hao, Q., & Zhao, H. (2014). Intrinsic Carrier Mobility of a Single-layer Graphene Covalently Bonded with Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes. Journal of Applied Physics, 115(23), 23370.
- Zhong, B., Zhang, Y., Li, W., Chen, Z., Cui, J., Li, W., Xie, Y., Hao, Q., & He, Q. (2014). High Supersonic Conduction Arising from Aligned Large Lamellae and Large Figure of Merit in Bulk Cu(1.94)Al(0.02)Se. Applied Physics Letters, 105(12), 123902.
- Chen, H., Hao, Q., Zivkovic, O., Hautier, G., Du, L., Tang, Y., Hu, Y., Xiaohua, M. a., Grey, C. P., & Ceder, G. (2013). Sidorenkite (Na3MnPO4CO3): A new intercalation cathode material for Na-ion batteries. Chemistry of Materials, 25(14), 2777-2786.
- Hao, Q. (2012). Effective medium formulation for phonon transport analysis of nanograined polycrystals. Journal of Applied Physics, 111(1).
- Hao, Q. (2016, Nov.). Analytical Model for Lattice Thermal Conductivity Predictions of Periodic Nanoporous Structures. In Proceedings of 2016 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE) Conference, IMECE2016-65459.
- Wang, K., Molina, E., Deghani, G., Xu, B., Li, P., Hao, Q., Lucas, P., Kassaee, M. H., Jeter, S. M., & Tejz, A. S. (2014, June 30-July 2). Experimental Investigation to the Properties of Eutectic Salts by NaCl-KCl-ZnC12 for Application as High Temperature Heat Transfer Fluids. In 8th International Conference on Energy Sustainability (ESFuelCell2014).
- Hao, Q. (2016, Jan.). Multi-Length Scale Thermal Simulations of GaN-Based Devices. ASME Micro/Nanoscale Heat & Mass Transfer International Conference. Biopolis, Singapore: ASME.
- Hao, Q. (2016, Jan.). Thermal Studies of Nanoporous Si Films Using 3-Omega Measurements. ASME Micro/Nanoscale Heat & Mass Transfer International Conference. Biopolis, Singapore: ASME.
- Hao, Q. (2016, July). Multi-Length Scale Electron-Thermal Simulations of GaN High Electron Mobility Transistors. Fourth International Conference on Computational Methods for Thermal Problems. Georgia Tech.
- Hao, Q. (2016, March). Thermal Investigation of Nanostructured Bulk Thermoelectric Materials with Hierarchical Structures — An Effective Medium Approach. MRS Spring Meeting & Exhibit.. Phoenix, AZ.
- Hao, Q. (2016, March). Thermal Investigations of Periodically Nanoporous Si Films — The Impact of Structure Sizes and Pore-Edge Amorphization. American Physics Society March Meeting. Baltimore, MD: APS.
- Hao, Q. (2016, May). Multilength Scale Electro-Thermal Simulations of GaN-Based High Electron Mobility Transistors. The 3rd International Conference on Phononics and Thermal Energy Science. Xi'an, China: Xi'an Jiao Tong University.
- Hao, Q. (2016, Nov.). Coupled Phonon/Electron Monte Carlo Simulations of Three-Dimensional GaN Transistors. ASME’s IMECE Conference. Phoenix, AZ: ASME.
- Hao, Q., & Xu, D. (2016, March). Experimental Studies of Graphene Antidot Lattices for Thermoelectric Applications. American Physics Society March Meeting. Baltimore, MD: APS.
- Hao, Q., LeRoy, B. J., & Du, X. (2016, Nov.). Thermoelectric Property Measurements of Graphene Antidot Lattices on Different Substrates. ASME’s IMECE Conference. Phoenix, AZ: ASME.
- Hao, Q., Segal, E. R., & Chan, C. K. (2014, July 4). Heat Generation an Conduction Studies of Li-ion Batteries. Sustainable Industrial Provessing Summt and Echitition, Shechtman International Symposium. Cancun, Mexico.
- Hao, Q., Segal, E. R., Xu, D. C., Coleman, G. J., & Lucas, P. (2014, April 21-25). ZT Enhancement of Thermoelectric Glasses via Annealing Combined with In-situ Thermoelectric Property Measurements. Spring Meeting. San Francisco, CA: MRS.
- Lucas, P., Coleman, G., & Hao, Q. (2014, May 25-30). Chalcogenide Glass Nanocomposites as Effective Thermal Insulation Materials. 1st Joint Meeting of Dgg-ACerS GOMD. Aachen, Germany.
- Lucas, P., Coleman, G., Gulbiten, O., Hao, Q., Bureau, B., Cui, S., & Boussard-Pledel, C. (2014, May 25-30). Doped Glassy Semiconductors for Application in Thermoelectric Devices. 1st Joint Meeting of DGG-ACerS GOMD. Aachen, Germany.