Assistant Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
Jekan Thanga heads the Space and Terrestrial Robotic Exploration (SpaceTREx) Laboratory. Jekan has a background in aerospace engineering from the University of Toronto. He worked on Canadarm, Canadarm 2 and the DARPA Orbital Express missions at MDA Space Missions. Jekan obtained his Ph.D. in space robotics at the University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies (UTIAS) and did a postdoc at MIT's Field and Space Robotics Laboratory (FSRL).
Jekan is broadly interested in the exploration and utilization of Space, using:
- CubeSats and Small Spacecrafts
- Swarms/Networks/Constellations of Robots
- Field Sensor Networks
His research covers the investigation of fundamental theoretical concepts with simulation using computational tools, culminating with field trials and deployment. His research focuses on developing system design and control technologies, that enables:
- Science Instrumentation for Exploration
- Authomous Control
- Smart Structures and Deployables
He also teams up with other researchers to apply the latest in space technology to terresterial applications including:
- Construction and 3D Printing
- Energy Exploration
- Environmental monitoring
His team uses multidisciplinary optimization using a combination of conventional, adaptive and machine learning methods resulting in high performance, unconventional design and control solutions that would otherwise not be envisioned by a human designer.
He has authored or co-authored 75+ peer-reviewed publications and is currently the Engineering PI on two CubeSat missions, the US Air Force funded SWIMSat Mission and AOSAT 1, a CubeSat Centrifuge Laboratory. Jekan and his students won a Popular Mechanics Breakthrough Award in 2016 and a Tech Briefs Top 5 Award in the Aerospace/Defense category for the SunCube FemtoSat platform.
- Tech Briefs Design the Future 2017, Top 5 in Aerospace/Defense
- Tech Briefs Magazine, Fall 2017
- HeroX (X-Prize Spin-off) CubeSat Challenge Winner
- HeroX/ US Military/ NASA, Fall 2017
- Frank J. Redd Small Satellite Student Competition Winner (3rd Place)
- AIAA/USU Small Satellite Conference, Summer I 2017
- Top Achievements of the Year - Arizona State University 2016 Year in Review
- Arizona State University, Spring 2017
- Co-author, Best Student Paper and Presentation Award (2nd place) at the 40th AAS Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference, 2017
- AAS GNC Student Paper Committee, Spring 2017
- Advisor for Garrett Fleetwood, winner of Outstanding Honors Thesis, 2017
- Arizona State University School of Energy Matter and Transport Engineering (SEMTE), Spring 2017
- Popular Mechanics Breakthrough Award
- Popular Mechanics Magazine, Fall 2016
Dynamics Of Machines
AME 352 (Spring 2019)
AME 352 (Spring 2018)
AME 910 (Spring 2019)
AME 910 (Fall 2018)
Aerospace Conceptual Design
AME 420 (Fall 2018)
Aircraft Conceptual Dsgn
AME 520 (Fall 2018)
AME 920 (Fall 2018)
AME 920 (Spring 2018)
AME 900 (Fall 2018)
AME 900 (Spring 2018)
AME 900 (Fall 2017)
AME 909 (Spring 2018)
AME 250 (Fall 2017)
- Asphaug, E., Thangavelautham, J., Klesh, A., Chandra, A., Nallapu, R., Raura, L., Herreras-Martinez, M., & Schwartz, S. (2017). A cubesat centrifuge for long duration milligravity research. Nature Microgravity, 5.
- Lightholder, J., Thoesen, A., Adamson, E., Jakubowski, J., Nallapu, R., Smallwood, S., Raura, L., Klesh, A., Asphaug, E., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017). Asteroid Origins Satellite 1: An On-orbit CubeSat Centrifuge Science Laboratory. Acta Astronautica, 133, 14.
- Thangavelautham, J. (2017). The Design of Long-Life, High-Efficiency PEM Fuel Cell Power Supplies for Low Power Sensor Networks. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 19.
- Thangavelautham, J., Law, K., Fu, T., El Samid, N. A., Smith, A., & D'Eleuterio, G. (2017). Autonomous Multirobot Excavation for Lunar Applications. Robotica, 33.
- Babuscia, A., Sauder, J., Chandra, A., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017, 03). Inflatable Antenna for CubeSats: A New Spherical Design for Increased X-band Gain. In IEEE Aerospace Conference, 10.
- Fleetwood, G., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017, 07). An Information Theoretic Approach to Sample Acquisition and Perception in Planetary Robotics. In Adaptive Hardware Conference, 10.
- Gankidi, P., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017, March). FPGA Accelerated Q learning in autonomous rovers for planetary exploration. In IEEE Aerospace Conference, 8.
- Hernandez, V., Aaditya, R., Herreras-Martinez, M., Thangavelautham, J., & Asphaug, E. (2017, 08). On-Orbit Demonstration of the Space Weather and Meteor Impact Monitoring Network. In Small Satellite Conference, 8.
- Hernendas-Martinez, M., Uglietta, J., Lozes, K., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017, 2). Entry, Descent and Landing System for CubeSat Missions to the Moon and Small-bodies. In AAS GNC Conference, 10.
- Kalita, H., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017, 07). Multirobot Cliff Climbing on Low-Gravity Environments. In Adaptive Hardware Conference, 10.
- Kalita, H., Nallapu, R., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017, 02). GNC of the SphereX Robot for Extreme Environment Exploration on Mars. In AAS GNC Conference, 8.
- Kalita, H., Nallapu, R., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017, 02). Guidance, Navigation and Control of Multirobot Systems in Cooperative Cliff Climbing. In AAS GNC Conference, 14.
- Kalita, H., Schwartz, S., Asphaug, E., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017, 09). Network of Nano-Landers for In-Situ Characterization of Asteroid Impact Studies. In International Astronautic Congress.
- Nallapu, R., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017, 02). Precise Pointing of Cubesat Telescopes: Comparison Between Heat and Light Induced Attitude Control Methods. In AAS GNC Conference, 8.
- Nallapu, R., Asphaug, E., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017, 02). Control of a Bucket-Wheel for Surface Mining of Asteroids and Small-Bodies. In AAS GNC Conference, 8.
- Nallapu, R., Sumit, S., Asphaug, E., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017, 02). Attitude Control of the Asteroid Origins Satellite 1 (AOSAT 1). In AAS GNC Conference, 8.
- Nallapu, R., Tallapragada, A., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017, 03). Radiometric Actuators for Spacecraft Attitude Control. In IEEE Aerospace Conference, 10.
- Rabade, S., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017, 02). Combined Thermal Control and GNC: An Enabling Technology for CubeSat Surface Probes and Small Robots. In AAS GNC Conference, 10.
- Raura, L., Warren, A., & Thangavelautham, J. (2017, March). Spherical Planetary Robot for Rugged Terrain Traversal. In IEEE Aerospace, 10.