Assistant Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Hossein Rastgoftar is currently an assistant professor in the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Arizona. Prior to this, he was an assistant professor of Mechanical Engineering at Villanova University and an adjunct assistant professor at the University of Michigan from 2020 to 2021. He was also an assistant research scientist (2017 to 2020) and a postdoctoral researcher (2015 to 2017) in the Aerospace Engineering Department at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor. He received his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Drexel University in 2015 and has two MS degrees (one in Mechanical Systems and the other in Solid Mechanics) and a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering-Thermo-Fluids. Rastgoftar’s areas of interest span decision-making under uncertainty, human-robotic interaction, swarm robotics, system autonomy, UAS traffic management, intelligent transportation, formal specification and verification, and finite-state abstraction of dynamical systems.
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- A Continuum Framework and Homogeneous Map based Algorithms for Formation Control of Multi Agent Systems.
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering
- University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida, United States
- University of Michigan Ann Arbor (2020 - 2021)
- University of Michigan Ann Arbor (2017 - 2020)
- University of Michigan Ann Arbor (2015 - 2017)
AME 455 Control System Design
Rastgoftar’s areas of interest span decision-making under uncertainty, human-robotic interaction, swarm robotics, system autonomy, UAS traffic management, intelligent transportation, formal specification and verification, and finite-state abstraction of dynamical systems.
Control System Design
AME 455 (Spring 2023)
AME 455 (Spring 2022)
AME 455 (Fall 2021)
AME 499 (Fall 2021)
AME 699 (Spring 2022)
Nonlinear and Optimal Control
AME 556 (Fall 2022)
- Asslouj, A. E., Uppaluru, H., & Rastgoftar, H. (2022). Fast and Safe Aerial Payload Transport in Urban Areas. arXiv preprint arXiv:2206.10064.
- Rastgoftar, H. (2022). Integration of A* Search and Classic Optimal Control for Safe Planning of Continuum Deformation of a Multi-Quadcopter System. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems.
- Rastgoftar, H., & Kolmanovsky, I. V. (2022). A spatio-temporal reference trajectory planner approach to collision-free continuum deformation coordination. Automatica, 142, 110255.
- Rastgoftar, H., Liu, X., & Jeannin, J. (2022). A Concurrent Switching Model for Traffic Congestion Control. arXiv preprint arXiv:2204.05358.
- Romano, M., Uppaluru, H., Rastgoftar, H., & Atkins, E. (2022). Quadrotor Formation Flying Resilient to Abrupt Vehicle Failures via a Fluid Flow Navigation Function. arXiv preprint arXiv:2203.01807.
- Uppaluru, H., Emadi, H., & Rastgoftar, H. (2022). Resilient multi-UAS coordination using cooperative localization. Aerospace Science and Technology, 107960.
- Emadi, H., Uppaluru, H., & Rastgoftar, H. (2022). A physics-based safety recovery approach for fault-resilient multi-quadcopter coordination. In 2022 American Control Conference (ACC).
- Uppaluru, H., Liu, X., Emadi, H., & Rastgoftar, H. (2022). A Continuous-Time Optimal Control Approach to Congestion Control. In 2022 European Control Conference (ECC).
- Liu, X., & Rastgoftar, H. (2021). Conservation-based modeling and boundary control of congestion with an application to traffic management in center city philadelphia. In 2021 Australian & New Zealand Control Conference (ANZCC).