Associate Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Associate Professor of Optical Sciences
Dr. Kavan Hazeli is an associate professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering at the University of Arizona. Dr. Hazeli has a joint appointment with the Biomedical Engineering Department and the College of Optical Sciences. His research group is active in designing, characterizing, and optimizing multi-functional materials built by additive manufacturing techniques, focusing on materials performance and failure mechanisms under fatigue, impact, and thermomechanical loading. Dr. Hazeli is the recipient of the 2020 National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award Foundation.
Dr. Hazeli's group is also active in designing and building educational tools and life-assisting items for the visually impaired and people with cognitive impairment (e.g., Alzheimer's). Dr. Hazeli's team uses cutting-edge technologies in robotics, data conversion methods, artificial intelligence, light detection and ranging (LiDAR), vision optics, haptic technology, and additive manufacturing to integrate human needs, capabilities, and behavior in their design.
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics
- Drexel University
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics
- Drexel University
- The University of Alabama in Huntsville (2016 - 2021)
- Johns Hopkins University (2014 - 2016)
Materials Design, Mechanical Behavior of Materials, Multi-functional Materials, Failure Analysis, Deformation Mechanisms, Fatigue, Thermo-mechanical Properties, Materials response to Multi-axial Loading, Optomechanics, Data Conversion
Engineering Design and Materials Selection, Manufacturing, Mechanical Behavior of Materials, Fracture Mechanics
Mechs Of Materials Lab
AME 324L (Spring 2023)
AME 324L (Fall 2022)
AME 324L (Spring 2022)
AME 324L (Fall 2021)
Engr Design and Mat'l. Select.
AME 469 (Spring 2023)
AME 569 (Spring 2023)
AME 499 (Fall 2022)
AME 592 (Fall 2022)
AME 900 (Fall 2022)
AME 900 (Spring 2022)
- Babamiri, B. B., Mayeur, J., & Hazeli, K. (2022). Synchronous involvement of topology and microstructure to design additively manufactured lattice structures. Additive Manufacturing, 102618.
- Demeneghi, G., Barnes, B., Gradl, P., Ellis, D., Mayeur, J. R., & Hazeli, K. (2022). Directed energy deposition GRCop-42 copper alloy: Characterization and size effects. Materials & Design, 222, 111035.
- Indeck, J., Cereceda, D., Mayeur, J. R., & Hazeli, K. (2022). Understanding slip activity and void initiation in metals using machine learning-based microscopy analysis. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 838, 142738.
- Zhang, J., Liu, Y., Babamiri, B. B., Zhou, Y., Dargusch, M., Hazeli, K., & Zhang, M. (2022). Enhancing specific energy absorption of additively manufactured titanium lattice structures through simultaneous manipulation of architecture and constituent material. Additive Manufacturing, 102887.
- Babamiri, B. B., Barnes, B., Soltani-Tehrani, A., Shamsaei, N., & Hazeli, K. (2021). Designing additively manufactured lattice structures based on deformation mechanisms. Additive Manufacturing, 46, 102143.
- Barnes, B., Babamiri, B. B., Demeneghi, G., Soltani-Tehrani, A., Shamsaei, N., & Hazeli, K. (2021). Quasi-static and dynamic behavior of additively manufactured lattice structures with hybrid topologies. Additive Manufacturing, 48, 102466.
- Kang, M., Dixit, N., Hazeli, K., Xie, K., Hemker, K., & Ramesh, K. T. (2021). The mechanical behavior of single crystal and polycrystalline pure magnesium. Mechanics of Materials, 163, 104078.
- Xie, K. Y., Hazeli, K., Dixit, N., Ma, L., Ramesh, K. T., & Hemker, K. J. (2021). Twin boundary migration mechanisms in quasi-statically compressed and plate-impacted Mg single crystals. Science advances, 7(42), eabg3443.