John A. Szivek
Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Professor, Physiological Sciences Graduate Interdisciplinary Program
Professor, BIO5 Institute
Adjunct Associate Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
Adjunct Associate Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Biographical Sketch for John A. Szivek, Ph.D.
Dr. Szivek was educated in Toronto, Canada where he completed his PhD. His research topic was a study of the nature of activity induced bone formation and the study of bone loss around orthopedic implants.
Dr. Szivek moved to the University of Arizona in the fall of 1990 where he was appointed to direct the Orthopedic Research Laboratory, in the Department of Surgery at the College of Medicine. He is a senior researcher in the Arizona Arthritis Center and in 2003 was awarded the William and Sylvia Rubin Chair in Orthopaedic Research by the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery to support his studies on cartilage regeneration and in vivo load sensing. The Center has scientists from a number of disciplines working together at the University of Arizona to develop better treatment for persons suffering from arthritis. Dr. Szivek has had a number of federal and private grants to study the effect of exercise on bone and cartilage and to measure loads acting on healthy musculoskeletal tissues to better understand osteoarthritis and potential treatments for patients with osteoarthritis.
- Chair, BME GIDP, Biomedical Engineering Graduate Interdisciplinary Program (2011 - 2015)
- Professor - Biomedical Engineering and BME GIDP, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (2006 - Ongoing)
- Adjunct Professor, Arizona State University, Phoenix, Arizona (1985 - 1990)
- Faculty Mentor Honor Roll
- UA, Department of Surgery, Spring 1998
- Alberta Visiting Professor Research Award
- Alberta Heritage Foundation, University of CalgaryArthritis Center, Calgary, Alberta Canada, Summer I 1997
- Public Policy and Advocacy Committee of Arthritis Foundation (Arizona Chapter)
- Arthritis Foundation, Spring 1997
- Governor's Advisory Council on Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases
- Office of the Governor of the State of Arizona,The Honorable Fife Symington, Spring 1996
- Outstanding Conference Prsentation, The Knee Society
- The Knee Society, Spring 1992
- Outstanding Publication of the Year, Journal of Investigative Surgery
- Journal of Investigative Surgery, Spring 1992
- Louis J Kettle Medical Student Mentoring Award
- UA, Medical Student Research Program, Fall 1991
- UBRP Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award
- UA, University Biology Research Program, Fall 1990
- Board of Visitors Award, Saint Lukes Hospital
- Saint Lukes Hospital, Phoenix Arizona, Spring 1988
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- Province of Ontario/ University of Toronto, Fall 1980
- University of Toronto Open Scholarship
- Graduate College, University of Toronto, Fall 1979
- Bronze level award for student paper, Canadian Biomaterials Society
- Canadian Biomaterials Society, Summer I 1979
- G. Guess Summer Scholarship Award
- Department of Metallurgy and Material Science (MMS), College of Engineering, University of Toronto, Summer I 1976
- Bachlor of Applied Science with Honors
- College of Engineering, University of Toronto, Fall 1973
- Ontario Scholarship for Scholastic Excellence
- Government of Ontario, Canada, Fall 1969
- WAESO URM STEM Outstanding Student Mentorship Career Award
- Western Alliance to Expand Student Opportunities, Spring 2018
- Chair, U.B.R.P. Governing Board
- Undergraduate Biology Research Program, Spring 2017
- Presidential Recognition Letter
- UA President, Spring 2016
- Likin's Presidential Inclusive Excellence Award
- University of Arizona, Office of the President, Spring 2011
- Graduate College Service Recognition Award
- UA Graduate College, Spring 2011
- Bone and Joint Surgeons, Distinguished Service Award
- Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons and Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, Spring 2010
- Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award, UBRP
- Undergraduate Biology Research Program, Fall 2008
- UAC, Investigator of the Year
- UA, University Animal Care, Spring 2005
- William & Sylvia Rubin Chair in Orthopaedic Research
- Arizona Arthritis Center and Orthopaedic Surgery Department, Spring 2003
- Mentor of the Year, Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP), WAESO Chapter
- National Science Foundation/ WAESO, Spring 2003
- Cover Article, Journal Biomedical Materials Research - B
- Journal Biomedical Materials Research - B, Summer I 2000
Bioengineering - Orthopaedic Biomaterials and Biomechanics -Orthopaedic Tissue Engineering - 3D Printing of Scaffolds and Cell Extraction and Utilization in Tissue Engineering - Implantable load sensor and Telemetry development
Orthopaedic Biomaterials and Biomechanics -3D printing - Free Form Fabrication - Additive manufacturing -Pluripotent cell extraction, differentiation and utilization in tissue engineering -In vivo sensor and telemetry development for load measurement
Honors Independent Study
MCB 499H (Spring 2018)
MCB 499H (Fall 2017)
PSIO 499H (Spring 2017)
BME 492 (Spring 2018)
BME 492 (Fall 2017)
Rsrch Meth Biomed Engr
BME 597G (Fall 2017)
BME 566 (Fall 2016)
BME 466 (Fall 2016)
AME 566 (Fall 2016)
AME 466 (Fall 2016)
- Szivek, J. A., Vaidyanathan, R., Hecht, B., Studley, A., Phillips, T., Calvert, P. D., Tellis, B., & Coleman, A. (2008). Resorbable Polymer‐Ceramic Composites for Orthopedic Scaffold Applications. In 28th International Conference on Advanced Ceramics and Composites B: Ceramic Engineering and Science(pp 529-536). doi:DOI:10.1002/9780470291191.ch80
- Szivek, J. A. (1999). Synthetic Materials and Structures Used as Models for Bone. In Mechanical Testing of Bone and the Bone-Implant Interface(pp 159-171).
- Szivek, J. A., & Gharpuray, V. M. (1999). Strain Gauge Measurements from Bone Surfaces. In Mechanical Testing of Bone and the Bone-Implant Interface(pp 305-320).
- Conway, R. F., Okarski, K. M., & Szivek, J. A. (2018). A Purification Technique for Adipose-Derived Stromal Cell Cultures Leads to a More Regenerative Cell Population. J Investigative Surgery. doi:DOI:10.1080/08941939.2017.1423420
- Szivek, J. A., Gonzales, D. A., Wojtanowski, A. M., Martinez, M. A., & Smith, J. L. (2018). Mesenchymal stem cell seeded, biomimetic 3D printed scaffolds induce complete bridging of femoral critical sized defects. Journal of biomedical materials research. Part B, Applied biomaterials.
- Szivek, J. A., Ruth, J. T., Heden, G. J., Martinez, M. A., Diggins, N. H., & Wenger, K. H. (2017). Determination of joint loads using new sensate scaffolds for regenerating large cartilage defects in the knee. Journal of biomedical materials research. Part B, Applied biomaterials, 105(6), 1409-1421.
- Ferng, A. S., Marsh, K. M., Fleming, J. M., Conway, R. F., Schipper, D., Bajaj, N., Connell, A. M., Pilikian, T., Johnson, K., Runyan, R., Black, S. M., Szivek, J. A., & Khalpey, Z. (2016). Adipose-derived human stem/stromal cells: comparative organ specific mitochondrial bioenergy profiles. SPRINGERPLUS, 5.
- Gao, L., Schmitz, H. A., Zuniga, A. A., Klewer, J. A., Szivek, J. A., Taljanovic, M. S., Latt, L. D., & Witte, R. S. (2016). Minimizing strain error for in vivo ultra-sound elasticity imaging of human tendon. 2016 IEEE INTERNATIONAL ULTRASONICS SYMPOSIUM (IUS).
- Gao, L., Yuan, J. S., Heden, G. J., Szivek, J. A., Taljanovic, M. S., Latt, L. D., & Witte, R. S. (2015). Ultrasound Elasticity Imaging for Determining the Mechanical Properties of Human Posterior Tibial Tendon: A Cadaveric Study. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING, 62(4), 1179-1184.
- Szivek, J. A., Heden, G. J., Geffre, C. P., Wenger, K. H., & Ruth, J. T. (2014). In vivo telemetric determination of shear and axial loads on a regenerative cartilage scaffold following ligament disruption. Journal of biomedical materials research. Part B, Applied biomaterials, 102(7), 1415-25.
- Waters, H. A., Geffre, C. P., Gonzales, D. A., Grana, W. A., & Szivek, J. A. (2013). Co-Culture of Adipose Derived Stem Cells and Chondrocytes with Surface Modifying Proteins Induces Enhanced Cartilage Tissue Formation. Journal of Investigative Surgery, 26(3), 118-126.
- Ledet, E. H., D'Lima, D., Westerhoff, P., Szivek, J. A., Wachs, R. A., & Bergmann, G. (2012). Implantable Sensor Technology: From Research to Clinical Practice. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 20(6), 383-392.
- Gao, L., Heden, G. J., Szivek, J. A., Taljanovic, M., Latt, D., & Witte, R. (2011). TU-A-220-03: Ultrasound Elasticity Imaging of Human Posterior Tibial Tendon. Medical Physics, 38(6), 3748 -. doi:doi:10.1118/1.3613104
- Gonzales, D. A., Ferng, A. S., Geffre, C. P., Borg, J. L., Miller, M., & Szivek, J. A. (2011). Mechanical loading of adipose derived stromal cells causes cell alignment. J Biomedical Science and Engineering, 4, 355-359. doi:doi:10.4236/jbise.2011.45045
- Szivek, J. A., Indelli, P. F., Schnepp, A., & Grana, W. A. (2011). Load bearing at the menisco-femoral joint: an in vitro study in the canine knee. The Duke Orthopaedic Journal, July 2010-June 2011 1(1), 39-43. doi:10.5005/jp-journals-10017-1006
- Geffre, C. P., Finkbone, P. R., Bliss, C. L., Margolis, D. S., & Szivek, J. A. (2010). Load Measurement Accuracy from Sensate Scaffolds with and without a Cartilage Surface. Journal of Investigative Surgery, 23(3), 156-162.
- Szivek, J. A., Geffre, C. P., Ochoa, J., & Margolis, D. S. (2010). Evaluation of the osteogenic performance of calcium phosphate-chitosan bone fillers. Journal of investigative surgery : the official journal of the Academy of Surgical Research, 23(3).
- Geffre, C. P., Margolis, D. S., Ruth, J. T., DeYoung, D. W., Tellis, B. C., & Szivek, J. A. (2009). A novel biomimetic polymer scaffold design enhances bone ingrowth. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research - Part A, 91A(3), 795-805.
- Szivek, J. A., Gonzales, D. A., Kay, R. D., Margolis, D. S., & Smith, J. L. (2017, Summer). Cell-Free Biomimetic Scaffolds Lead to Non-Unions in Critical Sized Defect Repair as Compared to Identically Structured Stem Cell Infiltrated Scaffolds that Induce Rapid Bone Growth. Orthopaedic Research Society - Sun Valley Workshop. Sun Valley: Orthopaedic Research Society.
- Schmitz, H., Gao, L., Ingram, C. P., Klewer, J., Szivek, J. A., Taljanovic, M., Latt, D. L., & Witte, R. S. (2016, January). Ultrasound Elasticity Imaging of the Posterior Tibial Tendon using FOCUS Simulation Software. 27th Annual Undergraduate Biology Research Program Conference. Tucson, AZ.
- Szivek, J. A., Buchak, J., Wotanowski, A. M., Gonzales, D. A., Barreda, A., Smith, J. L., & Margolis, D. S. (2017, June). Development and Biomechanical Testing of a Human Long Bone Segment Regenerating Scaffold. Summer Biomechancis, Bioengineering and Biotransport Conference (SB3C). Tucson, AZ.
- Latt, D. L., Gao, L., Taljanovic, M., Szivek, J. A., Guerra, J. D., Klewer, J. A., & Witte, R. S. (2016, March). In Vivo Ultrasound Elasticity Imaging Differentiates Healthy From Diseased Tendons. Orthopaedic Research Society 2016 Annual Meeting. Orlando, Florida.
- Szivek, J. A., Okarski, K. M., Curtis, H. J., & Powers, L. S. (2016, December). Environmental Stress Increases Stem Cell Concentration In Extracted Stromal Cell Batches. TERMIS - Published in Tissue Engineering Part A, Vol 22, S8-S8, ISSN 1937-3341, 2016. San Diego, California: TERMIS.
- Szivek, J. A. (1984, Septmeber). A Quantitative Study of the Effect of Strain Redistribution on Bone Remodelling. Thesis.