Jump to navigation
Chuan F. "Tony" Chen
Professor Emeritus of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
- Double-diffusive convection
- Stability of convective flows
- PhD: Brown University, 1960
- MS: Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois, 1954
- BS: Mechanical Engineering, Class Salutatorian, University of Illinois, 1953
- 2002: The University of Arizona: Professor Emeritus
- 2000-02: National Science Foundation: Fluid Dynamics and Hydraulics Program Director
- 1980-02: Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, The University of Arizona:
- Department Head 1980-89
- Professor 1980-02
- 1994: Clare Hall, University of Cambridge (Michaelmas Term; sabbatical): Visiting Fellow
- 1992: Institut für Angewandte Thermo und Fluiddynamik, Kernforschungszentrum, Karlsruhe (summer): Visiting Scientist
- 1991: Research School of Earth Sciences, The Australian National University (summer): Visiting Fellow
- 1987: Clare Hall, University of Cambridge (Michaelmas Term; sabbatical): Visiting Fellow
- 1978: Research School of Earth Sciences, The Australian National University (summer): Visiting Fellow
- 1971-72: Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, University of Cambridge (sabbatical): Senior Visitor
- 1963-80: Mechanical, Industrial, and Aerospace Engineering, Rutgers University:
- Assistant Professor 1963-66
- Associate Professor 1966-69
- Professor I 1969-73
- Professor II 1973-80
- Chairman, 1976-80
- 1960-63: Hydronautics, Incorporated, Laurel, Maryland:
- Research Scientist 1960-61
- Senior Research Scientist 1961-62
- Assistant to the Chief Engineer 1962-63
- 1955-60: Engineering, Brown University: Research Assistant
- 1953-55: Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois: Research Assistant
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Alumnus, University of Illinois, Mechanical/Industrial Engineering
- Pi Tau Sigma
- Tau Beta Pi
- Sigma Xi
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science: Fellow
- The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics: Associate Fellow
- The American Physical Society: Fellow
- The American Society for Engineering Education
- The American Society of Mechanical Engineers: Fellow
Publications Since 2000
- Yu, Y., Chan, C.L., and Chen, C.F., The Effect of Gravity Modulation on the Stability of a Horizontal Double-Diffusive Layer, J. Fluid Mech. 589:183-213, 2007.
- Peiwen Li, Chan, C.L., and Chen, C.F., Buoyancy-driven Circulation Flow of an Electrical Conductive Liquid in a Rectangular Annulus, ASME-JSME Thermal Engineering and Summer Heat Transfer Conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 8-12, 2007.
- Chan, C.L., Yu, Y., and Chen, C.F., Instability of Convection of an Ethanol-Water Solution in a Vertical Tank, J. Fluid Mech. 510:243-265, 2004.
- Chen, C.F. and Chan, C.L., Salt-Finger Instability Generated by Surface-Tension and Buoyancy-Driven Convection in a Stratified Fluid Layer, Interfacial Fluid Dynamics and Transport Process (R. Narayanan and D. Schwabe, Eds.), Springer-Verlag, pp. 46-59, 2003.
- Chan, C.L., Chen, W.-Y., and Chen, C.F., Secondary Motion in Convection Layers Generated by Lateral Heating of a Solute Gradient, J. Fluid Mech. 455:1-19, 2002.
- Zhao, P. and Chen, C.F., Stability Analysis of Double-Diffusive Convection in a Superposed Fluid and Porous Layer Using a One-Equation Model, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 44:4625-4633, 2001.
- Chan, C.L., Latham, W.P., and Chen, J.-K., Review of Ultrashort Pulse Laser Materials Interaction, International Congress on Applications of Lasers and Electro-Optics, Jacksonville, Florida, 2001.
- • Chan, C.L., Chen, C. F., and Chen, W.-Y., Salt-Finger Instability Generated by Lateral Heating of a Solute Gradient, 20th International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (ICTAM 2000), Chicago, Illinois, 2000.
Research Grants Since 2000
- Resonance Effects in Single- and Double-Diffusive Systems Under Gravity Modulation, NASA, 3/1/00-11/30/04 (with C.L. Chan).
- Allied Fiber and Plastics Co.
- C.R. Bard Inc.
- Hydronautics Inc.
- Vitro Laboratories